Nike Sneaker Design Workshops Celebrate Air Max Day
Following the incredible success of last year’s Nike ‘London On Air’, from March 22nd to April 15th Nike will be hosting a design workshop series in Paris, London, New York, Seoul, Shanghai and Tokyo.
This series will engage participants in the processes of designing Nike footwear. From concept development, silhouette selection, material & colour exploration, and final embellishment, participants will have the chance to be a part of each stage. Attendees will be asked to create a new Air Max for their city, drawing inspiration from what their city means to them.
In each city, the design brief begins with consideration of the local environment. Participants are asked to envision a new Air Max for their respective city, taking inspiration from what it means to them and their experiences in it. Nike designers, with help from guest mentors from the local creative community, guide the approach principles, which involve innovative problem solving, sustainable materials and manufacturing.
The day is shaped by the following five stages of footwear product creation:
1. Concept development: Participants will explore ideas and research the subject of the design brief and form the initial story behind their concept.
2. Silhouette selection: The program’s silhouettes will be revealed and, in partnership with Nike designers and guest mentors, the participants will select the one that best fits their respective concept.
3. Material exploration: Nike designers will lead a deep dive into material theory, exploring a variety of swatches to select the elements of the chosen silhouette’s upper.
4. Color exploration: Participants will get a lesson in color theory and be guided through the process of selecting colors that best express the intent of their concept.
5. Embellishment: Participants will learn about and apply post-embellishment techniques ranging from laser engraving to embroidery, the final steps in bringing their imagined vision to life.
At the end of the series, each member will submit their finished Air Max design to a judging panel, who will select the top three concepts from each city. These designs will then be put to a global vote, with the winning design going into production.